The Sentencing Council has published revised guidelines for offences in the Magistrates’ Court Sentencing Guidelines.
The guidelines apply to all offenders aged 18 and older who are sentenced on or after 24 April 2017, regardless of the date of the offence.
These are available online. The revised guidelines will appear in purple until they come into effect, and the current guidelines will also be available until then.
We are working on providing PDF versions of these guidelines, which will be available shortly.
The revised guidelines will be available on the offence pages and can be viewed here directly:
- Alcohol sale offences – Licensing Act 2003, s.141; s.146; s.147
- Animal cruelty – Animal Welfare Act 2006, s.4; s.8 and s.9
- Careless driving – Road Traffic Act 1988, s.3
- Communication network offences – Communications Act 2003, s.127(1)
- Communication network offences – Communications Act 2003 s.127(2)
- Drive whilst disqualified – Road Traffic Act 1988, s.103
- Drugs – fail to attend/remain for initial assessment –Drugs Act 2005, s.12
- Drugs – fail/refuse to provide a sample – Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984, s.63B
- Drunk and disorderly in a public place – Criminal Justice Act 1967, s.91
- Excess alcohol (drive/attempt) – Road Traffic Act 1988, s.5(1)(a)
- Excess alcohol (in charge) – Road Traffic Act 1988, s.5(1)(b)
- Fail to provide specimen for analysis (drive/attempt) – Road Traffic Act 1988, s.7(6)
- Fail to provide specimen for analysis (in charge) – Road Traffic Act 1988, s.7(6)
- Fail to stop/report road accident – Road Traffic Act 1988, s.170(4)
- Football related offences – Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol etc.) Act 1985, s.2(1) and s.2(2), Football Offences Act 1991, s.2, s.3 and s.4 and Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, s.166
- No insurance – Road Traffic Act 1988, s.143
- Obstruct/resist a police constable in execution of duty – Police Act 1996, s.89(2)
- Railway fare evasion – Regulation of Railways Act 1889, s.5(1) and s.5(3)
- School non-attendance – Education Act 1996, s.444(1) and s.444(1A)
- Sexual activity in a public lavatory – Sexual Offences Act 2003, s.71
- Speeding – Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, s.89(1)
- Taxi touting/soliciting for hire – Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, s.167
- TV licence payment evasion – Communications Act 2003, s.363
- Unfit through drink or drugs (drive/attempt) – Road Traffic Act 1988, s.4(1)
- Unfit through drink or drugs (in charge) – Road Traffic Act 1988, s.4(2)
- Vehicle interference – Criminal Attempts Act 1981, s.9
- Vehicle taking, without consent – Theft Act 1968, s.12