The definitive guidelines for sentencing assault offences were issued on 16 March 2011 and came into force on 13 June 2011. The following offences are included in the guideline:
- Causing grievous bodily harm with intent to do grievous bodily harm/ Wounding with intent to do GBH
- Inflicting grievous bodily harm/ Unlawful wounding/ Racially or religiously aggravated GBH/ Unlawful wounding
- Assault occasioning actual bodily harm/ Racially or religiously aggravated ABH
- Assault with intent to resist arrest
- Assault on a police constable in execution of his duty
- Common assault/ Racially or religiously aggravated common assault
Between 16 April 2020 and 15 September 2020, the Council consulted on revisions to the existing assault guidelines and a draft guideline for assault on emergency workers.
The consultation on the original assault guidelines was open from 13 October 2010 to 5 July 2011. We received 394 responses.
To support the guidelines and consultations, the Council also publishes a range of documents. These documents may include consultation responses, statistical bulletins, resource and equality impact assessments and guideline assessments.
Related documents: Assault