Arson and criminal damage
The definitive guidelines on the sentencing of arson and criminal damage were issued on 3 July 2019 and came into force on 1 October 2019.
Offences covered by the guidelines include:
- Arson – criminal damage by fire
- Arson – criminal damage with intent to endanger life and reckless as to whether life endangered
- Criminal damage (other than by fire) value exceeding £5,000/ Racially or religiously aggravated criminal damagehttps://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/%court-type%/item/criminal-damage-arson-with-intent-to-endanger-life-or-reckless-as-to-whether-life-endangered/
- Criminal damage (other than by fire) value not exceeding £5,000/ Racially or religiously aggravated criminal damage
- Threats to destroy or damage property
The consultation on draft guidelines for sentencing arson and criminal damage opened on 27 March 2018 and closed 26 June 2018.
To support the guidelines and consultations, the Council also publishes a range of documents. These documents may include consultation responses, statistical bulletins, resource and equality impact assessments and guideline assessments.
Related documents: Arson and criminal damage