You can calculate fines for up to six offences.
If you make any changes as you go along, the tool will re-calculate for you.
Opening the Fines Calculator
Select the fines calculator from the side navigation bar.
Closing the Fines Calculator
You can close the calculator at any time. Your calculation will be preserved unless you select “Start again” or close the app.
Relevant weekly income
- Enter the defendant’s relevant weekly income/RWI. Either:
- use the drop down list, or
- type the figure in the box. Tap the keyboard icon in the bottom right corner to close the keyboard.
- Tap the relevant box to choose weekly, bi-weekly, monthly or yearly.
- Tap on the relevant Band. The % starting point will be displayed.
- Touch the arrow next to the % starting point and use the drop-down list to select where on the range you want the fine to be.
Select the relevant box to show what discount, if any, is being given for a guilty plea.
- Type the compensation amount into the box. Use numbers only, eg: 50 not £50.00.
- Close down the keyboard by tapping the keyboard icon in the bottom right corner.
Add another offence
Click on “Add another offence”.
You can also add another offence from the final calculation page.
Calculate the fine(s)
Tap “Continue” to go to the final calculation page.
Were any of the offences committed before 8 April 2016 or were all offences committed on or after 8 April 2016?
Tap the relevant box and select the correct surcharge from the drop-down list.
- Select an amount from the drop-down list, or
- Type an amount into the grey box. Use numbers only, eg: 50 not £50.00.
Close down the keyboard by tapping the keyboard icon in the bottom right corner.
Calculate the total
The total sum, including surcharge and prosecution costs, is displayed at the bottom of the right-hand column.
Made a mistake?
You can change your calculations at any point in the process.
As you enter separate offences:
- tap on the relevant “Offence” tab to return to the offence that has been entered incorrectly. Correct the error. Return to the page you were on.
On the final calculation page:
- tap “Edit” next to the offence that has been entered incorrectly. Correct the error. Tap “Continue” to return to the final calculation page, or
- tap next to the offence to delete it from the calculation.
If there is no fine, you can still use the calculator to work out compensation, surcharge and prosecution costs, or to calculate multiple fines.
Clear the calculator
From any offence page, tap “Continue” and then “Start again”.
On the final calculation page, tap “Start again”.