Sentencing Council: Annual Report 2019/20
Our annual report for 2019/20 was laid before Parliament today. The report is Lord Justice Holroyde’s second as Chairman of the Sentencing Council and documents the Council’s achievements of the year 1 April 2019 to 31 March 2020. These achievements include:
- publishing three definitive guidelines, all of which have come into force:
- Arson and Criminal Damage;
- General Guidelines and Expanded Explanations; and
- Public Order Offences.
- holding consultations on:
- Firearms Offences;
- Terrorism Offences (revised);
- Drug Offences (revised);
- Driving disqualification offences, breaches of community orders and totality; and
- Overarching Principles: Sentencing people with mental disorders, developmental disorders or neurological impairments.
The report also details the consultation opened this year by the Council to mark the beginning of our tenth anniversary. “What next for the Sentencing Council?” seeks views from the Council’s partners, supporters and critics on where we should focus our efforts in the next ten years, and how we should balance our priorities against limited resources.