Assault on emergency workers - 13 November 2018
The Assaults on Emergency Workers (Offences) Act 2018 came into force on 13 November 2018. The Act creates a statutory aggravating factor: Offence was committed against an emergency worker acting in the exercise of functions as such a worker.
The court must apply the aggravating factor to a range of offences:
- Threats to kill, Offences Against the Person Act 1861, s.16
- Wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, Offences Against the Person Act 1861, s18
- Malicious wounding, Offences Against the Person Act 1861, s20
- Assault occasioning actual bodily harm, Offences Against the Person Act 1861, s47
- Sexual assault, Sexual Offences Act 2003, s.3
- Unlawful act manslaughter
- Manslaughter by reason of loss of control
- Manslaughter by reason of diminished responsibility
The sentencing guidelines have been updated to reflect the legislation.