Drug offences consultation
|15 January 2020||7 April 2020|
Respond to the consultation:
Download the consultation documents:
Or use the online consultation.
If you have any difficulty accessing the consultation or require it in a different format please contact
The Sentencing Council is issuing a new consultation on its proposed guideline on sentencing drug offences.
Which offences are covered by the guideline?
Misuse of Drugs Act 1971:
- section 3 (and Customs and Excise Management Act 1979 (section 170(2)) – fraudulent evasion of a prohibition by bringing into or taking out of the UK a controlled drug
- section 4(3) – supplying or offering to supply a controlled drug
- section 5(3) – possession of a controlled drug with intent to supply it to another
- section 4(2)(a) or (b) – production of a controlled drug
- section 6(2) – cultivation of a cannabis plant
- section 8 – permitting premises to be used for drug-related activity
- section 5(2) – possession of a controlled drug
Psychoactive Substances Act 2016:
- section 4 – producing a psychoactive substance
- section 5 – supplying, or offering to supply, a psychoactive substance
- section 7 – possession of a psychoactive substance with intent to supply
- section 8 – importing or exporting a psychoactive substance
- section 9 – possession of a psychoactive substance in a custodial institution